Thank you very much for your concise answer, Helmut.

Am 21.09.2016 09:19, schrieb Helmut Lichtenberg:
> Hi,
>
> Rolf-Werner Eilert schrieb am 21.09.2016 08:36:
>> Am 20.09.2016 19:34, schrieb Vagrant Cascadian:
>>> The main advantage of LTSP Fat Clients, especially in today's media-rich
>>> environment, is that applications take full advantage of the client
>>> hardware. This is really important with displaying video, rendering on
>>> the local graphics hardware on the client.
>> That would be a major point for me, although video playback isn't at
>> first place. But e.g. mere browser usage is far too slow on our thin
>> clients, mainly because of slow graphics. This problem has become more
>> and more severe over the last year(s).
> I recognized this problem, too. But we solved it by buying more recent
> hardware. You mententioned the zbox. We use lots of them as thin clients and
> they run quite nicely. Although they might run even better as fat clients.

Yes, I guess I will try both setups first. Now I am running quite old
hardware on a thin client setup.

> I see also some advantages for thin clients over fat ones. We work in the area
> of genotyping and sometimes need more resources than desktop computers can
> provide. If you have to handle files with dozens of GB of size and compute
> intensive tasks its good to have thin clients as entries to powerfull terminal
> servers. Shure, it's also possible via ssh and remote X but it's a simple and
> straight forward setup for all users.
> And it's a pleasure to work on a terminal server with 40 CPU 128 GB RAM or
> even
> more (as it is a virtual Xen machine). :^)

Our needs aren't so ambitious ;) We just need a solid "office
environment" which runs fast enough to keep the folks happy.

> So, depending on the applications both setups have their benefits. Maybe I
> should try to also run fat clients in parallel.
>
> Rolf, I already have separated the servers for dhcp, image download (nbd), and
> terminal services in my setup. Maybe this could help for fat clients and
> different images. Just send me an email.
>
> Regards
> Helmut

Thanks for the offer! As soon as I see what I need, I'll be back.

Regards
Rolf