I set up my 16.04 Xubuntu computer as an LTSP server. I have booted a client
from it successfully, but under two special circumstances: (a) using a second
NIC and ltsp-server-standalone; (b) using dnsmasq as a dhcp server. When I set
up dnsmasq as a dhcp proxy, the client always fails when it tries to mount the
root filesystem with the message "ALERT! /dev/nbd0 does not exist." (Along with
some other messages that disappear off the screen too fast to capture, but one
of them says something like "unable to create socket, connection refused.)

I actually thought I had dnsmasq set up to run as a proxy dhcp server, but I
found out differently when my wife's computer got an IP address from the wifi
in the dnsmasq address range and couldn't connect to the internet. So I
adjusted the settings to make it a proxy, and now it doesn't work. I wish I
could remember the exact configuration changes I made. The only one I know for
sure was setting the line "dhcp-range=192.168.0.0,proxy" in
ltsp-server-dnsmasq.conf and commenting out a dhcp-range line in dnsmasq.conf.
I can't see why either of those would affect nbd, but what do I know?

NBD does seem to be working in principle, because I can run "nbd-client
localhost -N /opt/ltsp/i386 /dev/nbd0" and I get back the size, bs, and sz
values.  Same if I run that command (changing the host) on another machine,
although the server does have a log message "Can't open authorization file
/etc/ltsp/nbd-server.allow (No such file or directory)," I don't know if that
means anything.
I assume there must be some problem with my ltsp setup, but I have no idea what
I need to do to configure nbd.  I would be grateful for any assistance.
Sincerely,
Derek
Everything Peace of Westphalia