On 2016-12-07, Finn Andersen wrote:
> I'm about to install LTSP on Debian Jessie and tried to enter values into
> the  configuration file  /etc/ltsp/ltsp-build-client.conf, to build a
> fat-client image.
>
> I defined this variable
> FAT_CLIENT_DESKTOPS="mate-desktop-environment"
>
> But mate is not installed in the image after i run ltsp-build-client. I
> know I can use the following commands afterwards. "ltsp-chroot -m;apt-get
> install mate-desktop-environment"
>
> But isn't the build-script supposed to use the FAT_CLIENT_DESKTOPS
> variable? Is it a bug?

Yup, it's a bug in
/usr/share/ltsp/plugins/ltsp-build-client/Debian/030-fat-client:

                if [ -n "$option_fat_client_desktop_value" ]; then
                        FAT_CLIENT_DESKTOPS="$(echo
$option_fat_client_desktop_value | tr ',' ' ')"
                        EARLY_PACKAGES="$EARLY_PACKAGES $FAT_CLIENT_DESKTOPS"
                fi

It is only respected if passed via commandline.

The Debian/030-fat-client hook also has a couple minor other issues;
I'll get it fixed upstream tomorrow, and try to get it into the upcoming
Debian release.

> I've read somewhere that the --fat-client parameter is Ubuntu specific, and
> does not apply to Debian.

The Debian implementation is a little different and it doesn't do much
other than add packages to the list of packages to install.

live well,
  vagrant