Conrad Lawes wrote:

Tom, I agree with you. I decided to use the LTSP server as a NAT/Firewall server because my cable router didn't have enough ports to connect all my computers to it.

In the end, I had to modify the Shorewall policy to accept ALL traffic from the LTSP LAN.

I am, however, still interested to learn how to configure Shorewall to accommodate LTSP clients.

*/Tom Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    I know nothing about shorewall. What I do know is that (imho) you are
    better off placing the firewall on a separate machine between your
    router
    and your ltsp server. One of our volunteers at FREE GEEK MICHIANA
    has an
    LTSP server behind a firewall behind a cable modem. He (Goose) put his
    firewall-on-a-floppy on an old IBM PC 330 (P90, 32mb) with two
    nics. It
    works well.

Tom

    At 11:14 AM 2/22/03 -0500, Conrad Lawes wrote:
    >I'm running LTSP on a multi-home server running Mandrake 9.0.
    >
    >configuration:
    >eth0 192.168.1.108 (external) connected to cable router.
    >eth1 192.168.0.1 (internal) LTSP LAN
    >
    >I installed and configured the shorewall firewall package and all
    the LTSP
    >clients fail to boot because TFTP traffic is being blocked by
    shorewall.

    >I assume that /etc/shorewall/rules & /etc/shorewall/policies
    files must be
    >updated to accept TFTP communication but my fiddling has not
    worked thus
    >far.
    >
    >Does anyone know how to correct this problem?
    >
    >TIA.

    >For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

    For additional LTSP help, try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

Conrad Lawes

Hello Tom, Conrad and others,

You probably solved this one by now.

I had this problem too. To fix it I edited the /etc/shorewall/rules (Mandrake 9.0) file and added

ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     53,69   -
ACCEPT  loc     fw      tcp      80,443,53,69    -
ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     53,69   -
ACCEPT  fw      loc     tcp      53,69    -

Note checkout mainly port 69 (TFTP)

You probably need to add nfs rules for your local net too.

On a side note. I would be really grateful if one or more of you folk could port scan my PC tonight, just to make shure it's locked down. I know it is not recommended, but its connected to the internet via a dialup and serving as a gate way for my home network. My IP address tonight is 203.123.71.241

TA Chris