On Monday 15 August 2005 01:20 pm, Harry Sufehmi wrote:

> On 15/08/2005 at 10:57 Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> >So, ok. I have more stupid questions to ask:
> >1. Is the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.localdev script automatically run, or I
> >must specify it somewhere, maybe in the lts.conf by using RCFILE_XX ?
>
> It's supposed to be automatically run.
>
> >2. In the wiki, there is another script called LDA-setup.gadi.sh, what is
> >it for? Where should I put it in?
>
> Personally I don't need to use it in various LTSP installations that I did.
> YMMV.
>
> >3. In which log files can I look for clues? In the server's
> >/var/log/messages
> >I can only see message about smb failed to mount /misc. In the workstation
> >the only available log is about Xorg.
>
> I was having this problem too, so I tried various things; eg: trying to
> mount the share manually, trying to find how LDA works, and so on. I must
> admit that I still don't really understand its details though :-)  it was
> pretty much sheer luck that I managed to get it to work on FC3.
>

> Thanks,
> Harry

Hi guys!!!
It finally works!!! Wohooooooo!!!

Following Harry's suggestion to use kdm/kde/konqueror, the problems still
persisted. I began to be very very frustrated. I ferociously refreshed the
konqueror screen on the /misc/ and then.... it showed! The ws001cd icon! But
I couldnt see the content.

I looked into the /var/log/messages, the problems still the same though:
automount[10344]: mount(generic): failed to mount //ws001/cdrom (type smbfs)
on /misc/ws001cd
automount[10344]: failed to mount /misc/ws001cd
automount[10347]: >> Error connecting to 192.168.1.27 (Connection refused)
automount[10347]: >> 10349: Connection to ws001 failed
automount[10347]: >> SMB connection failed
(I even change the host name to ws001 in order to match the tutorial)

Out of frustration, I looked into my lts.conf, and decided to change these
lines:
from:
LOCAL_DEVICE_01    = /dev/fd0:floppy (notice the spaces after 01)
LOCAL_DEVICE_02    = /dev/hdc:cdrom (notice the spaces after 02)

to:
LOCAL_DEVICE_01=/dev/fd0:floppy (no spaces)
LOCAL_DEVICE_02=/dev/hdc:cdrom (no spaces)

I rebooted the workstation, and I widened my eyes when on the fast scrolling
screen, I saw that the floppy module was loaded!

And.. anxiously logon to kde and opened konqueror, I saw the drives folder in
my Home! Yippiiii! Then I browse into it, and saw the icon was a file. So, I
know there's a workaround for this, so I opened the shell session and did ls
-l /tmp/drives/cdrom, and it mounted!! Yes!! So did the floppy.

In /var/log/messages:
fc4 mount.smbfs[4000]:   mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service
\\ws001.test.kom\drives, pid=4000

Out of curiousity, I rebooted my server into gdm/gnome (it is required by my
office), and it still works!! I tested it by copying a file into the floppy
and it's copied.

Yes! Yes! Yes! (pls pardon me for my happiness).
I'm not sure whether the spaces in my lts.conf caused that, though.

Above all, I want to thank you Jim and the LTSP team for developing this
wonderful solution. I had working with LTSP3 before (but short of stop
because of local device problems) and I must say that it's getting better and
awesome in this latest release.

Rock on LTSP! I'm going to write an article about this in
http://linux2.arinet.org
Thank you very much.
--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | http://linux2.arinet.org
14:40:09 up 3 min, Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for i586