> 1) We don't want a static inetd.conf, as if no printer's defined
> for a terminal, there's no point in starting jetpipe at all.  So,
> what we'd want to do, on boot, is zero out the inetd.conf file, and
> then update-inetd calls based on things like if PRINTER_0_DEV/PORT
> are set, LOCALDEV=true are set, etc.
> 2) Some services would need to be modified to work under inetd,
> i.e. both ltspfsd and jetpipe bind to ports, as opposed to listening
> on stdin/out, however, this is just a case of turning the crank.
>
> Some further investigation/discussion would be needed to see if this is
> a worthwhile way to go.

Back in a previous life I had a raft of diskless linux boxes
running.  Now the details are hazy.  What I ended up doing so
that I could configure each client separately was this:

/clients/root was the equivalent of /opt/ltsp/386
/clients/lab-112 was the tree for lab-112. It was predominantly
composed of hard inks to the same file in /clients/root

/clients/lab-112 was the file system exported to the machine lab-112

This way, I could tweak for individual hardware or location.  Ie.
If I wanted to replace /etc/printcap for lab-112, all I had to do
was delete /clients/lab-112/printcap and create it with the
changes. (Gotta make sure it gets a new inode.)

Nowadays, it would probably be simpler to do it all with a Change
On Write file on top of hte exported file system.