Doug Cutting wrote:

Wolf Siberski wrote:

So, if anything at all, I would rather opt for making these constants
private :-).

I agree. In general, fields should either be final, or private with accessor methods. So, we could change this to:

private static int defaultMergeFactor =
  Integer.parseInt(System.getProperty("org.apache.lucene.mergeFactor",
                                      "10"));

public static int getDefaultMergeFactor() {
  return mergeFactor;
}

public static void setDefaultMergeFactor(int mergeFactor) {
  defaultMergeFactor = mergeFactor;
}

In my original patch I deleted 5 "final" keywords for a reduction in code of 25 bytes.. If I were to submit the patch again I'd have to add 2 methods and 35 additional lines of code.

Seems to me that the Java coding conventions in this situation should be ignored.

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator). Visit http://rojo.com. Ask me for an invite! Also see irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.

If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking, etc... then you should work for Rojo! If you recommend someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!
AIM/YIM - sfburtonator, Web - http://peerfear.org/