Hi Guys,

I am cross-posting this issue from the lucene-users list, because:

1. it is still unanswered there

2. it feels more like a development issue.

3. the company I work for wishes to offer you our "dev-force" ;-) in case

the issue is solvable (or more accurately speaking, the feature is
implementable)

and it is on your route plan, but you are currently lacking the resources to do
it.

Here goes my posting in the lucene users list:

QUOTE

Guys,
my private investigation already left me sceptic about the outcome of this
issue,
but I've decided to post it as a final resort.
Perhaps the gurus know the right answer :-)

Suppose I have an index of about 5,000,000 docs
and I am running a single term queries against it, including queries which
return say 1,000,000 or even more hits.

The hits are sorted by some column and I am happy with the query execution
time (i.e. the time spent in the IndexSearcher.query(...) method).
Now comes the problem: it is a product requirement that the client is
allowed to quickly access (by scrolling) a random page of the result set.
Put in different words the app must quickly (in less that a second) respond
to requests like: "Give me the results from No 567100 to No 567200"
(remember the results are sorted thus ordered).
I took a look at Lucene's internals which only left me with the suspicion
that this is an impossible task.
Would anyone, please, prove my suspicion wrong?

Regards
Stanislav

/QUOTE