Our index is currently about 40Gb.

The advantage of binding a user is that once a search is performed then
caching within lucene and in the application is very effective if
subsequent searches go back to the same box.  Our initial searches are
usually in the sub 100milliS range while subsequent requests for deeper
pages in the search are returned instantly.

Bryan McCormick