Erik, I was thinking about the case where

category:"document management"
category:"document publishing"

and the user wants to search category:document and have both turn up. But
that's obviously not the use-case in the situation of a drop-down, so you're
right about this, Field.Keyword is correct here. Sorry for misleading you, Mike.