Kevin A. Burton wrote:
BTW.. can you define "a bit"...

Merriam-Webster says:

  a bit : SOMEWHAT, RATHER

Is "a bit" 5%? 10%? Benchmarks would be ncie but I'm not that picky.

If you want benchmarks, make benchmarks.

I just want to see what performance hits/benefits I could see by tweaking the values.

This parameter determines the amount of computation required per query term, regardless of the number of documents that contain that term. In particular, it is the maximum number of other terms that must be scanned before a term is located and its frequency and position information may be processed. In a large index with user-entered query terms, query processing time is likely to be dominated not by term lookup but rather by the processing of frequency and positional data. In a small index or when many uncommon query terms are generated (e.g., by wildcard queries) term lookup may become a dominant cost. Benchmarking your application is the best way to determine this.

There is no single percentage answer. There are cases where 99% of the query processing is in term lookup and there are cases where 1% of the query processing is in term lookup. Chances are that, with a large index and user-entered query terms, only a small percentage of the time is spent in term lookup and thus increasing this value somewhat will not affect overall performance much.

If you need something more precise than "much" or "a bit", measure it.

Doug