On Nov 26, 2007 12:29 PM, Reinier Battenberg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also interesting is the expected effect on princing:

Well it depends on who is crunching the numbers.

Kenyan gov't says the cost will be 500 USD per MN/s per month.

UUNet KE says don't count on that.

> "The cable, according to Dr Ham Mukasa Mulira, Uganda's Minister for
> ICT, will boost broadband connectivity in sub-Saharan Africa and
> reduce international connectivity costs by two-thirds."

He got his numbers from someone else I think.

> That is about 60% more ambitious than SEACOM.
>
> 2 cables would indeed be wonderfull, some free market economics is barely
> needed here.
>
> (@ McTim, arent the MTNs/UTLs etc not laying inter-national fiber at the
> moment?

Just to the border. IIRC, it's all done to KE, but not to Rwanda.

Wouldnt that be in preparation of the sea-cables?

yes

Come to think of
> it, wouldnt a sea-cable connection not come to kampala through nairobi?

yes

 (and
> to rwanda, through kampala?)

MTN has fiber most of the way to Kigali, but not the whole way.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim