Thomas,
You are exactly correct that large MDTs can be useful for DoM if you have HDD
OSTs. The benefit is relatively small if you have NVMe OSTs.

If the MDT is larger than 16TB it must be formatted with the extents feature to
address block numbers over 2^32. Unfortunately, this is _slightly_ less
efficient than the (in)direct block addressing for very fragmented allocations,
like those of directories, so this feature is not used for MDTs below 16TiB.

Cheers, Andreas