Mathias, I was going to post this to the group, but I've posted too much
already. Thought you'd be interesed, though.  Arthur.

Mathias wrote<><><><first time I've been called Mat. I like it, though :)
Titles are of some importance in Austria. There, it is a matter of
politeness to correctly _use_ them when addressing a person.

My 80ish landlady when I was a student in Munich was called Frau Dr. Olga
Traumann.  But she had no academic degree beyond what must have been a
finishing school education.  There was a picture of her on the wall on a
horse leaping over some rails, but was living in poverty when I took a room
with her.  She had had a distinguished career as a piano accompanist.  She
still gave voice and piano lessons, and at first I slept on a pad under her
Steinweg concert grand, and had to give up my room when she gave lessons.
There were 6 or 7 sturents living there.

Her father had been captain of the guards to the Austrian Emperor, and
ocassionaly a Hapsburg who lived in Munich would visit her for afternoon
tea. (He had the Hapsburg chin.) His brother would have been emperor if
Austria had continued with royalty.  I think she must have had some kind of
aristocratic bearing, because people always defered to her.  I remember
some waiters in tuxedos clicking their heels, bowing and scraping when they
served her coffee and sweet cakes in a hotel restaurant.  No one else got
that treatment.

Someone told me that the title, Frau Dr., was the way one addressed an
elderly woman who had accomplished much in life.

<><><><>--  Best wishes,

Likewise, Arthur.

<><>Mathias