At 9:01 AM +0000 03/11/23, Sandi Harris & Stephen Barber wrote:
>The
>rosewood was an attempt to get near to the sound that ivory produces,
>using a hard material, which is of course always very beautifully-veined
>and figured, as well as sounding well

I was just talking with a bagpipe player about ivory and it set me to
thinking. Has anyone made any modern reproductions of lutes with
ivory backs? I can't remember the context but I remember reading
somewhere about ivory backed theorbos being very loud.

They cull elephants in South Africa and there is an abundance of
mammoth ivory, so there is legal ivory about. I suppose enough ivory
for a lute back would not be cheap no matter what the source. I was
wondering about the brittleness also. Lute ribs have quite a bend to
them. I wonder if mammoth ivory would be too brittle.
--
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan