>> It occurred to me that Hans Judenkunig might have been a converted Jew (my
>> somewhat elderly 'Grove' has nothing to say about his origins).

Hans Bahlow, Deutsches Namenlexikon, 1992 (15,000 entries), p. 265, explains that Jud
may
have been Jewish or non-Jewish. As for non-Jewish, Jud as well as compound names like
Judenkunig may be taken as hints of relations with Jews (commercial, I assume).

As opposed to that, converted Jews in those days would rather have avoided hints of
their
provenances, I suppose. However, Bruger's explanation appears to me as guesswork as I
couldn't find his explanation in current related literature (namenlexika).

--
Best wishes,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/ Germany, T/F +49 -
421 -
165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]