Using a wound string to re-define the string mark can leave the same effect
as using a saw, or rough file.  Instead of cutting smoothly, it can
'chatter'.  Leaving a groove with tiny ridges all the way along, in which
the intended string will 'lock'.  The symptom you are trying to remove!

I define the position with a very smooth Swiss file (Needle file). Then
polish it with a piece of thin cord (about the same as the string diameter)
with a spot of metal-polish.

I then fit the string.  But, before bringing it into tune, I push the
string aside and use pencil-graphite to lubricate the nut.  Pop the string
back into place and tune up.  The reason I leave the graphite so late, is
because often the string has so much stretch, that most of it will be drawn
towards the peg, leaving very little trace to work during its service.

This is as close as I can get to alleviating the sticking-string problem.
 And yes, I can concur with Leonard about giving the string a little
outward tug at mid-point before fine-tuning.

I don't like the idea of pressing behind the nut.  IMHO the string is under
the greatest tensile stess here (particularly if there is a tendency to
stick at the nut) and, adding finger-pressure could easily break the string
at the nut.

My 2p

Ron (UK)