David and Steve,

Pardon that I haven't seen the original question (my lute list messages are
in two places, which I'm trying to fix). I'm familiar with delrin and it is
quite hard. I believe that is what is both the saddle and the nut on my
"lute", although I'd have to check the specs. The hammered dulcimers I've
made use a wooden bridge capped with metal fret strips (easy to inset, make
a thin slit and force the fret strips in). I can't see a full delrin bridge
for the HD, but for the nut on a lute it should work quite well. The
difference between the nut and the bridge is the desire for a guide groove.
Delrin is perfect for that (as would be ivory, if you could get it, or
afford it). Gut or nylon strings won't cut into delrin, but it is soft
enough to work with a craftsman's Swedish pattern file. BTW David, wire
strings of any sort will cut a bit into any material. I prefer a metal
capped bridge for those instruments, but none of them have a nut.

Best, Jon