> And Gordon, with no insult to your intelligence intended, I think your
> professor at McGill (my father's alma mater) had perfect "relative
> pitch" rather than "perfect pitch". Just the fact that you say it was
> tunable.

Actually Bruce does have perfect pitch, because he can write down by
ear most 20th-C music from a recording. He demonstrated this once to
our advanced analysis class using a Varese piece from a record. He
could write down the ten-minute Varese piece entirely from one
hearing: in his demo, he was still writing 45 minutes after the piece
had stopped playing; we went home and left him. He also has a
photographic memory and what we called a tape-recorder memory, as he
could write down, for example, any of our compsitions weeks after
hearing them just once.

Once (about 1982 I think) he was brought into Halifax (Nova Scotia)
on three-days' notice to play the piano part in a Ligeti orchestral
piece. He received the score at the airport and memorized it the way
from there to the rehersal.
(I think he can speak about five languages.)

GJC