While hunting for Mrs Hunt on the Grove, I found this interesting anecdote
from one of Michel Corrette's method, showing that archlutes were still
widely in use in the  1770's in England and, incidentally,  that there is
no end to human ridicule. But what on earth is "signalling a page-turn in
Hebrew-fashion"?
Alain

"I suppose it is unnecessary to warn those who wear glasses to have some
for distance vision. I remember having been at a concert in a little town
in England where I saw a trio of spectacles at the harpsichord. Each of the
players was competing for the closest position to the music desk. After the
heads had knocked against one another, the singer, who was a castrato newly
arrived from Italy and who was having difficulty seeing in spite of three
pairs of glasses on his nose, had the idea of sitting astride the
harpsichordist’s hump-back. This advantage didn’t last long, because the
archlute player at one side of the grotesque group had – unfortunately for
him – a wooden leg; and as he was playing standing up and in spite of the
telescope that he wore on his beet-nose saw no better than the others, he
contrived through his contortions of beating time now on the castrato’s
back, now on the harpsichordist’s hump, and of signalling the page-turn in
Hebrew-fashion for the da capo, to let his wooden leg slip causing them all
to fall like Phaeton. A spectator who appreciated novelty called out,
‘Bravo, bravo’. "