Bill,
You are talking to someone who has made extensive efforts to make lute
music more accessible to more people. As long as "popularize" means
spreading the word and sharing the goodies with a larger number of fellow
primates, it's all for the better. If "popularize" means debase for the
sake of helping some high level executives save a few bucks on the back of
hard-working recording artists, then I am not so sure. Obviously, there
must be a zone somewhere where music and commerce meet, because we do want
to have a few professional lutenists who can actually scrape a living from
their art,  but I am not sure that zone should be the aisles of a
supermarket, particularly if that were to represent people's main exposure
to that music.
We are elitists no  doubt, but not more so than other people on other
discussion groups, some of whom know a whole lot about programming LINUX or
Britney Spears than you or I, and talk about those topics at length. Thirty
years ago, that was a different question: lutes and lute music were truly
rare. But now, a lot of work has been spent on making those more
accessible, and the results are now sinking into collective consciousness.
I just hope that "sinking" does not mean anything like drowning in the
fruit juice department ...
Alain