Dear Jon and lute net readers:

The message was a genuine warning from Chris Goodwwin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]),
administrator of the Lute
Society of Great Britain (as they now call themselves).  He was describing
some of the activities of
an international gang of thugs, who have embezzeled over 100 million
dollars using the internet and
snail mail.  At least one victim was murdered, and others were invited to
fly to Nigeria (or some
other African nation), where they were met at the airpirt and driven to a
secluded spot and mugged.

One of the scams is just like the one described by Scotland Yard in Chris's
message.  I have heard
of a valuable guitar being stolen using the same techniques.  So if you
intend to sell valuables on
e-Bay, it would be wise to read some of the sites devoted to the various
Nigeria Scams.

I get messages attempting to ;lure me into another Nigeria 419 Scame,
almnost every week.  It would
be a mistake for me to answer asking to be left alone.  The sceme is so
obvious, I can't believe
anyone would fall for it.  But there' a sucker born ...  When they use
snail mail, even the Nigerian
postage stamps are counterfeit.<g>

One site to get you started:

www.settlementnegotiation.org/front/eBay.html
or
www.geocities.com/spamresponses/419.htm

Take care.  I think I'd rather be back in the 20th Century.

AJN.