Dear Sean and Craig,

I think a,c,e,a was a slip of the computer keyboard. (Assuming a 1st
course tuned to a') Mudarra gives two tunings for the guitar:
a',e',c',g and a',e',c',f. (I prefer to list the strings starting
with the 1st course, i.e. the one highest in pitch.)

It all depends what you mean be re-entrant, doesn't it. For me, a
re-entrant tuning is one where the open strings give progressively
higher notes as they move towards the 1st course. This means that
the modern guitar and violin do not have re-entrant tunings, but the
five-string banjo tuning is re-entrant.

Things get more confusing where instruments have pairs of strings
tuned an octave apart, like the lowest courses of the lute. Strictly
speaking the individual strings do not get progressively higher,
because of the high octave strings of an octave pair. However, as
far as I am concerned, one ignores these high octaves for the
purpose of establishing whether or not a tuning is re-entrant. This
means that the tuning of an archlute (first six courses =
g',d'd',aa,ff,cc,Gg) is not re-entrant in spite of the octave pair
Gg, whereas the tuning of a theorbo (first six courses =
a,e,b,g,d,A) would be re-entrant. In other words, you ignore the
presence of a high octave string.

The exception would be where both strings of a course are tuned to
the high octave. This means that the baroque guitar tuning
e',bb,gg,d'd,aA would not be re-entrant, whereas the tuning
e',bb,gg,d'd,aa would be re-entrant.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.