Dear Stewart,

Thanks for clearing that up.  I guess you couldn't get a more authoritative
voice than Chris's.  But when I asked hm later, he said there had been no
change.  I find nothing objectionable to the British calling its society
_The_ Lute Society.  We all know that it is headquartered in Britain.,  I
looked at the LSA membership lists and about 1/3 of the members reside
outside Canada and the U.S.  I _think_ ours is the Lute Society of [North]
America.

By the way, this list was originally called the New England Lute Net.

But should the Lute Society wish to become international, they will have to
have their meetings in places like New York City, Buenos Aires, Yokyo and
Melbourne.

The latter place reminds me that I had a message from "Hil of Oz" (Hillary
Rhoades), who used to participate in this list.  She has finished her Ph.D.
and sent me a formal portrait in her academic gown.  Very impressive in
blue and orange with a beret-like cap.  Perhaps she will return to the list
when all that newly acquired knowledge stops buzzinng around in her head
and settles in.<g>

Arthur.
===================FROM: "Stewart McCoy",
INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
TO:     "Lute Net", INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
DATE:   6/9/04 9:46 AM
Re:     Lute Society was Re: N*geria Scams
  Dear Arthur,

I have done a quick search through my computer archives, and the only
references I can find to the "Lute Society of Great Britain" are these:

1) Me in a message to this list on 11th July 2000: "I wrote something
similar to what I have to say here for the News Magazine of the Lute
Society of Great Britain, but I cannot put my hands on the relevant issue."

2) Stuart Mayes in a message sent to this list by Roman Turovsky on 18th
September 2001: "As a long-standing member of the Lute Society of Great
Britain, I have long been fascinated with the life and works of the English
Lute composer/performer John Danyel (1564-1626), brother of Samuel of
'Delia' fame."

3) Monica Hall writing to the Spanish Lute List ("Vihuelista") on 3rd May
2000, when she wrote: "Soy miembro de la 'Lute Society of Great Britain' ."

4) Chris Goodwin's Lute Society message dated 7th January 2004 about the
Nigerian scam. After the information on the scam there is mention of the
"Lute Society of Great Britain" in connection with concerts to be given by
Ben Salfield.

My guess is that you read about the "Lute Society of Great Britain" in this
message from Chris Goodwin, because we have been discussing recently what
Chris had to say about the Nigerian scam. (This would make the title of
this thread more appropriate than perhaps you had imagined. :-)  )

It makes sense to refer to the Lute Society as British, if one is
mentioning it alongside other lute societies. That's probably why I used
the phrase back in 2000, to avoid confusion with the American Lute Society.
I agree with you that the Lute Society set up by Diana Poulton and Ian
Harwood in the 1950s was the first lute society, and was created for
everone in the world, no matter which country they happen to come from.

Like you I prefer to save the phrase "The Lute Society" for the British
lute society. There was some confusion a while ago, when John Buckman used
the phrase "Lute Society" for his lute website, but I can't remember how
this was resolved. At least one subscriber to this list refers to the list
as the "lute society", which could be misleading. I prefer "Lute Net" or
"Lute List".

There is a parallel situation with the Viola da Gamba Society, which was
started 1948. For many years they have referred to themselves as "The Viola
da Gamba Society of Great Britain". At least that's what you will see on
the front of their Newsletter and in their "Sup Pubs" (music publications).
They describe their journal, _Chelys_, as "The Journal of the Viola da
Gamba Society" [no "Great Britain"]. Their website doesn't mention "Great
Britain" either.

I don't suppose these things matter too much. The main thing is to be clear
about who is who.

All the best,

Stewart.

<71162.751ompuserve.com> To: "LUTE NET" <lutes.dartmouth.edu> Sent:
Wednesday, June 09, 2004 1:30 AM Subject: Lute Society was Re: N*geria
Scams

> Yes, I saw the designation "Lute Society of Great Britiain" from someone
on > this list, and thought the Society had altered its name.  I can't
remember > who it was, but it was someone I thought would be in a position
to know. > > When I wrote to Chris, I asked. He said there had been no
change. I too > see no reason to change, since the Lute Society was the
first on the scene > and surely has always intended to serve the whole lute
world.  And the > officers and administrator have been doing a commendable
job for all of us. > And back in the 1950s, who would have thought there
would be so many > lutenists that national societies would be necessary. >
> The most localized society is surely the Dutch Lute Society. Nearly 100%
> of the some 200 members live in Holland.  The last time I checked, sveral
> years ago, only 10 persons lived outside of Holland.  Could that mean
that > the Netherlands has more lutenists per square mile than any other
country > in the Western World?<g> > > arthur. > =======Simon
said====================== >   Just a small correction to something Arthur
said: > > "The message was a genuine warning from Chris Goodwin
(lutesocol.com), > administrator of the Lute Society of Great Britain (as
they now call > themselves)." > > In fact the Lute Society based in the UK,
of which Chris Goodwin is > secretary, is called just that: the Lute
Society, plain and simple, and has > no plans to change the name.  In fact
it is especially appropriate since, > as Chris tells me, more than 50% of
members live overseas. > >         Simon Lambert >         Oxford, England