Hi Stephen,
I put your message aside for re-reading, which I have done now... I have
never been truly happy with the sound of my archlute tuned in G, which
explains in part why I started experimenting with other tunings for that
instrument, including tunings of my own making, experiments with single
strings, and the like.
The big question it seems to me is that of practical applications: if an
instrument's bowl indeed resonates to the 5th course, in my case this would
be a "D", then would it "sit" better tuned in an old-tuning A? This causes
other problems because the vibrating length is 62cm, very (too) long for an
A-tuning. I tried D-minor tuning but the instrument (with single bass
strings) is not really suited for that repertoire. I still haven't tried
the old-tuning in F, because that may require a new set of strings altogether.
So far, the tuning I have been most happy with is rather strange: from the
treble down: F D Bb F D Bb / A Ab G F Eb D C Bb -- that tuning offers some
really interesting possibilities for modal music, BTW, and the chord shapes
are not any harder than for D-minor tuning.
Maybe some day someone will find the time to verify if an increase in the
size of the bowl has a direct effect on the overall balance of the
instrument so that some tunings work better - I think you are right about
the fifth course having relatively more importance (sort of a gravity
point) and it is perhaps interesting that both theorboes in A and D-minor
lutes have a fifth course in D.
I hope I did not misinterpret too much what you said, even after a second
reading... There must have been quite a bit of dialog going on between
players and lute makers at the time, and quite a bit of trial and error -
most of which is lost forever but could potentially be reconstructed.
Cheers,
Alain