Hi Michael,

Glad you got your beloved instrument repaired.

Nylgut is made of a type of nylon that has a very similar density to gut.
It also has a different tactile feel from nylon - kind of like some
unpolished gut that I used a very long time ago.

Gut strings are made from the collagen of sheep intestines if I remember
correctly.  Gut string making is an involved process and the string makers
that supply us are treasures.  The process is well explained by master
stringmaker Daniel Larsen at: http://gamutstrings.com/string_making.htm

Gut sounds fantastic on most lutes.  Warm yet bright at the same time.  It
tends to be expensive and goes out of tune when you need it to be most
stable!  The result is worth it, though.  I love the sound of gut and use it
on arpa doppia (triple harp - 108 strings) and various bowed strings in
addition to lute/theorbo.

Nylgut sounds quite close to gut yet is far more stable, and costs less
money.  The biggest adjustment is to the color - plastic milk jug white.
The other thing is that it really stretches a lot before settling.  I put it
on my 11 course lute and it sounds very nice.

The bass strings you describe are what is called overspun.  They have a core
of nylon, sometimes silk,  filaments that is most commonly wrapped with
copper or silver.  Aquila makes overspun strings with a Nylgut core.  In my
opinion they have a sound somewhere between gut and regular overspun.

The wood of the peg/pegbox cheek often swells humid weather and shrinks in
dry weather.  Sometimes you have to fiddle with them - pushing in/pulling
out - to get them to work just right.  A nice trick for tight pegs is to
LIGHTLY rub them with a bar of soap - pure stuff like Ivory is best.

If you have a violin shop nearby you can get a tube of Hills Peg Paste,
it'll last for years and it isn't too expensive, about $5.  It is specially
formulated to lubricate friction pegs like violin, viola and lute.

There is something called Tourné a Gouche that is used by hurdy gurdy
players.  Basically it is tuning wrench that slips over the peg head making
it easier to tune them if they are close together.  I think
www.hurdygurdy.com might make them, but I don't know how much they cost.

All the best,

Steve