>  Lorimar is doing great work I'm sure, but Weiss, even more >than
Bach, has always seemed uncomfortable to me on the >guitar.  I believe
Michael is transcribing them for six string.  >Your 13 string guitar
sounds like the way to go; would you >tune it to the d minor tuning?
Keep us posted.

>James

    Yea, I think Bach is much easier on guitar than lute, funny enough,
and Weiss is easier on lute than guitar.
     I visited Lorimar, a few years ago and watch him play several Weiss
Sonatas, it seemed rather painful, coming from the perspective of a
lutenist.
       Yes I would tune it to D minor, some of my ideas would be to join
the neck at the 10th fret, but have 14 frets, and tilt it as on the
baroque lute, with a kind of swan neck head, as well as perhaps, the
core of the neck as on a 19th century guitar, for light weight. Any
suggestions by you and others would be interesting.
    I feel it doesn't take that long for a guitarist to adapt form six
to thirteen.  It's really worth it just to play all of the Weiss and
Bach alone, and the rest of the baroque repertoire.
     This has been on my mind to do for years, so maybe this year.  As I
said, build it and they will come.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com