Dear Ed and Arne,

There are two sets of instructions in that manuscript
(London, BL, Ms.Sloane 1021), one in the newer style of
play as advocated by Besard (and in translation by
Dowland--most of JD's "Obseruations" is a translation of
Besard). The second treatise on lute playing is about
the older manner of Matthias Waissel (fl. 1595)  That
lute manuscript, which has Lithuanian lute pieces
(suggesting it was not from Stobaeus's East Prussia),
was probably just a book in Stobaeus's library (his
signature is squeezed into a space in an interior
folio), and it would be misleading to atttribute
anything in it to Stobaeus.  He was an organist and
choir director in Königsberg, and is not known to play
lute. Nor do I think it wise to second guess what Paul
may have said at the UNM. Afterall he told Beier about
the  instructions and assisted with the translation.

Dowland is just one of several lutenists cited in the
Besard-like treatise: Mercurius, Bocquet, Orazio Perla,
Laurenzino, Huwet, "und andere mehr."  All played thumb
forward, and are
reprresented in Besard's Thesaurus (1603).

Change was in
the air.   And musicians often change instruments or
technique if they are in danger of losing work because
their playing is deemed old fashioned.  And remember how
Dowland was lusting for a place at the English court,
and wrote almost apologetically about having to work on
"forreign" soil.

Here recently a new principal flute played a wooden
instrument.  And soon the second flute had one, too.
Berlin was calling, so Mr. Zoom didn't last long, and
the new principal plays a
gold flute. And I think I spotted another gold flute the
other evening.  Keeping up to date and in fashion can be
expensive.  And a wooden flute is really too expensive
to use as kindling.

A case in point was Waissel's son, Matthias Jr.  He
applied for a position at the Königsberg court, and was
turned down because his playing of  "Koloratur" was
deemed "old fashioned." (because he used thame
under????).  So I see no reason to doubt what the writer
of the treatise says.  But we don't know if JD played
thumb forward from the beginning.  But I wouldn't
dismiss his having changed.  There was too much at
stake.