Herbert Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> After thinking all night, I believe/guess that deadness
> in strings is primarily caused by dirt

if that were true it would be corected by cleaning the string, perhaps
using an ultrasound bath rather than risk the core by boiling or
whathaveyou.

Note, some methods of cleaning will only get partial results, it is
probably bad to drive/dilute dirt so it passes under the windings into
the core.

Also, this says nothing for unwound strings.

Wear is a clear contributor, another possiblity is stretch or other
long-term alteration of the strings fabric due to the constant
tension.  Strings are kept in tension near to their youngs modulus, ie,
near to the point where they stretch _permanently_.  It seems possible
to me they could have internal parts that fail at slightly lower
forces, excepting nylon and other modern materials, most strings are
complex assemblys of stuff.
--
Dana Emery