  From: Wayne Cripps<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu<mailto:lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:20 AM
  Subject: [LUTE] limits of technology

  So - I am wondering whether a luthier in 1580 could have
  made a D-18 Martin replica or a Hauser classical guitar.
  It strikes me that they could have, if they wanted to.
  They had hide glue, and they could saw thin flat boards
  for the soundboard, so why not for the back.  I think
  they could not have made the geared tuners, and I
  think they could not have made steel strings that would
  withstand the tension of strings on a modern bluegrass
  guitar.  And they could have worked out the more
  contemporary patterns of bracing.  Maybe some
  of the woods were not available then.  But all in all I
  think they could have done it.

  And while we are at it, could medieval craftsmen made glued
  up instruments?  When was good glue invented?

  This is all working up to an response when someone
  says that lutes and renaissance guitars are "primative."

  Wayne

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html<http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html>