I'd really have to see your left hand to know what to suggest.  I  could be a
result of poor positioning, pressing too hard on the strings or just  that
you are playing pieces that are too difficult for you.

Another cause of left hand tension is due to the instrument itself.   With
the guitar, which I also play, the default left hand position allows you to
play with the finger joints in mid range position most of the time.  With  the
lute this efficient default position cannot be employed as much because you
have to get more up on the finger tips due to closer string spacing. The trick
here, I've found, is to be aware of when you can play  in this efficient
default position, and then do so when you can.

The position I'm talking about is this.

1) hand parallel to the neck
2) relatively straight wrist
3) all finger joints curved in a mid range position.

For this position you must get the neck raised up to about a 45 degree
angle. I don't know if this violates some rule about historical performance or
not, but it's good for the hand.