Dear Taco,

The picture is an anonymous French School painting in Hamburg
Kunsthalle and was featured on the front cover of Early Music
magazine in October 1982. The whole picture makes it clear that it's
mostly a perspective problem, since the bridge also is on at an
impossible [and opposite] angle.

The rose is set grossly to one side as well. But the whole painting
is magnificent and gives very much the spirit of the instrument,
which looks like a converted Italian yew-wood lute with a French
style silver lace round the edge.

It may well be that the player did have his frets on at various
angles as many players do today to adjust intonation.

What is noticeable from the whole painting is that the player has his
little finger resting BEHIND the bridge in a postion where lots of
surviving museum instruments have wear marks. Thus he is playing very
close to the bridge. This may have influenced Bob's choice of
picture, since he has been talking a lot of late about the evidence
of playing close to the bridge. But from the CD section one can't
tell this of course!

The red strings are interesting and are not that illogical since they
are on the bass side of each course from the fifth downwards. A
perfect example of loaded strings and very bright red.

In case anyone is interested in seeing the whole painting I'll put it
up on my site at http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/hamburg.htm

Best wishes,

David

hi all,
I was just looking at the picture on the latest Barto-Weiss CD showing a

luteplayer with a french baroque lute. Looks quite normal until you look
more
careful. Two interesting things:
1. There are 6 red strings indicating loaded gut for strings where
normally
normal gut would be sufficient.
2. A very strange position of the pegbox. If you look at the white bone
part
which forms the bridge for the strings from fingerboard to pegbox, you
notice
that it's not parallel to the frets. The distance between the bone and
first
fret is smaller for the topstrings than for the bass strings. This could
be a
mistake by the painter having difficulties with drawing the angle of the

pegbox, but it could also be a design to give more length to the bass
strings. I think the latter is more logical. Never seen something like
that
on other paintings or modern copies.
Taco

--