Benjamin Britten
Nocturnal op. 70
RCA: LSC 2964 - B
Duration: 19:49

Sleevenote:

Britten's Nocturnal, written at Aldeburgh in 1963, is one of
a group of pieces reflecting the composer's preoccupation
with sleep and the world of dreams. The work is a set of
variations that instead of departing from a theme works
toward it - No. 20 in Dowland's First Book of Songs or
Ayres of Four Parts (1597).
But the theme and its previous variations are incomplete.
Each mood of night fancyings is characterized; the variations
are marked Musingly, Very Agitated, Restless, Uneasy,
Marchlike, Dreaming, and Gently Rocking, which leads into
a Passacaglia based on the alto part of the original air.
When this comes, it is like a calm resolution of all the busy
invention that has whirled in our minds; but as we draw
near the close of the tune, it thins out into a single line
and fades into silence. We may suppose that with the song
unfinished, oblivion and peace have intervened.
J. Warrack

Lyrics:

1
Come, heavy Sleep the image of true Death;
And close up these my weary weeping eyes:
Whose spring of tears doth stop my vital breath,
And tears my heart with Sorrow's sigh-swoll'n cries:
Come and possess my tired thought-worn soul,
That living dies, till thou on me be stole.

2
Come shadow of my end, and shape of rest,
Allied to Death, child to his black-fac'd Night:
Come thou and charm these rebels in my breast,
Whose waking fancies do my mind affright.
O come sweet Sleep, come or I die for ever:
Come ere my last sleep comes or come never.

Lute part:

***
-t
-f