Charles:

1) One of my friends, a violin player, does a weekly music therapy
session at the local Veterans' Hospital for soldiers who are having a
difficult time readjusting to civilian life after combat experience in
the Middle East.  I asked him about the format, and he replied that he
usually just takes requests and plays by ear.  The vast majority of the
requests are for pop music from the last couple of decades.  For that
context and mode of operating, it would seem that a guitar would be
preferable to a lute.

2)  I am having difficulty understanding the function of the music in a
operating room/theater.  I was under the impression that the patient is
normally quite unconscious while undergoing the surgery.  It makes much
more sense to me for chemotherapy or radiation therapy sessions.

Daniel Heiman