On Feb 11, 2006, at 4:57 PM, gary digman wrote:

> Dear list;
>
>      I've been reading through some G. A. Terzi. Either Terzi was
> endowed with some incredibly huge hands or he had a very small
> lute. How would one go about tackling the following:
>

> ____7_____
> ____2_____
> ____5_____
> __________
> __________
> ____3_____

Bb D E D? Pretty jazzy. I'd like to see what comes before and after.
Terzi is notorious. I heard that POD came up with a list of 20
impossible chords out of Terzi. As written, I can just barely get my
fingers into this position on my A lute, so I deem it impossible for
me to play in a musical context. Some players might play the top
three courses with the fingers and the 6th with the thumb.

Here are the same notes with courses 2 and 3 reversed. A lot more
manageable. And if you have a 7th course tuned a tone lower than the
6th, you could play the low note at the 5th fret.
____7_____
____0_____
____7_____
__________
__________
____3_____

> ____7___
> ____3___
> ____0___
> ________
> ________
> ____7___

At least I can reach this one on my A lute. It might be quite hard to
land on depending on what comes before. Again would like to see the
context. You could always play it as:
____7___
________
____8___
________
____9___
____7___

or put the F down an octave
____7___
________
____0___
____0___
________
____7___

I wonder if this was the equivalent of some kind of orchestral
reduction, a way to represent all the notes for completeness sake.

Do you have this in digital format?
cheers,