> I still can't quite believe this is genuinely lute music as opposed to
> music that is multiply realisable. There are many sustained notes,
> sometimes over two bars.
> It doesn't look like lute music.

I don't know Banks' work and his arguments (yet), but unless there is a firm
evidence that these specific pieces were performed on lutes, claims that
this is genuine music for a lute ensemble are overstatements. Indeed, this
music *could* have been performed by such an ensemble but also by any other
family of instruments (not to mention mixed groups) provided that ranges of
parts fit ranges available on the instruments. As far as I know there is a
consensus among scholars about 'portability' of much of this textless
repertoire of the late fifteenth century. I fail to see why Segovia pieces
would be specifically lute ensemble music but, again, I haven't read Banks
and maybe the answer and concrete evidence is there. Otherwise, one is
inevitably lead to suspect that it *needs* to be lute music because the
publication is addressed to a largely amateur lutenist market.