Dear Michal,

It would be wise to read what Jon Banks has to say before forming an
opinion.

When one is faced with a piece, such as Roelikin's setting of "De
tous biens plaine", which has a range of notes from a low G to high
e" flat, one has to consider what instrument can cope. Wind
instruments cannot, because their range is too small, but the lute
is a strong contender. The low G would be played as the open 6th
course, and the high e" flat as the 8th fret on the first course.
Admittedly not all the ranges are as extreme as Roelikin's
composition, but that piece does suggest that the lute was used for
such music.

I confess I have a personal interest in this repertory. I was one of
the lutenists who played for Jon's talk a few years ago to the Lute
Society, and I played on the recording he made of these pieces. I
find his arguments very convincing.

Many years ago, I came to the conclusion that the upper part of
Henry VIII's setting of Tandernacken was ideal for the lute. It
falls so well under the hand. My attempts at trying to intabulate
the lowest two parts on one lute failed. The result was unplayable.
However, if, instead, I had thought of using three lutes, as Jon has
for this piece, the result would have been very different. It sounds
lovely on three lutes. There may also be a case for having the long
tenor notes played on a viol.

In your message you refer to the problem of sustaining long notes on
the lute. There is no reason why you shouldn't use your discretion
in re-iterating some of these notes to make them last. In this
context, Edward Paston springs to mind, whose intabulations always
re-iterate long notes. For example, he would intabulate the breves
of an In Nomine as two semibreves.

I would add that much of the music under discussion is extremely
complex rhythmically. If it is to work, it has to be played
incisively, and exactly in time. I doubt whether viols (which have a
similar range to the lute) would be as successful.

When the Lute Society first considered publishing some of these
pieces, it was thought a good idea to present the music in
tablature. I tried preparing parts, but soon decided that tablature
was absolutely hopeless, at least for this repertory. With tablature
you dictate the pitch of the instrument, as well as where on the
neck individual notes are to be played. For example, do you
intabulate g' as a1 or f2? It could as well be f1 on a lute tuned a
4th lower, or f3 on a lute tuned a 4th higher. Tablature becomes a
hindrance, not a help.

The complex, syncopated rhythms of this repertory, if represented as
flags in tablature, are extremely hard to read. Jon and Chris
Goodwin agreed with me that publishing the pieces in staff notation
was the only viable option. I also made the point, that if a
lutenist wasn't up to reading from staff notation, he probably
wasn't up to playing this music, which requires quite a high
standard of musicianship.

It is no coincidence that lute tablatures appeared at a time when
lute players were trying to play more than one melodic line at a
time. If you superimpose two or more polyphonic lines, the overall
rhythm represented by tablature rhythm signs, becomes simpler. For
example, if one part has

  |\  |\ |\  |\
  |   |\ |   |\
  |.  |  |.  |
__a_______________
______d__c___a__|_
________________|_
________________|_
________________|_
________________|_

and another has

  |\    |\  |\ |\
  |\    |   |\ |
  |     |.  |  |

____________________
__________________|_
__d__c__a_________|_
____________c__a__|_
__________________|_
__________________|_

you have a total of eight rhythm signs.

If, on the other hand, you put them together for one lute to play,
those eight different flags are reduced to one:

  |\
  |\

__a_________________________
___________d__c________a__|_
__d__c__a_________________|_
_________________c__a_____|_
__________________________|_

which is much easier to read. In a nutshell, staff notation is
generally better for a single line, whereas tablature is better for
sustaining polyphony.

When considering what music we should play on the lute, it is worth
bearing in mind that we shouldn't restrict ourselves to music
notated in tablature. Music in staff notation is fair game too, even
if, at first sight, it doesn't look like lute music.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.