For anyone using a Mac who might need a good, inexpensive recorded
sound editor (e.g., tape or LP to CD), look into Amadeus II.   It's
available at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Welcome.html

There's a good write-up (intro and brief user's guide) at

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/features/tapetocd/index.php

Or find it in the January 2005 Macworld magazine.

        I know this isn't exactly "new", but I only recently found a need to
transfer some old tapes to CD, and this software has a lot of versatility to
suit my needs.  Record in stereo or mono (half the file size), reduce noise,
repair sounds, divide/splice tracks, etc.

        $30 (US), or 15 non-continuous trial days.  I figure I've saved that
much once I've digitized three LP's.

        I don't know if it is available for PC.

Regards,
Leonard Williams