  From: Herbert Ward<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu<mailto:lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:17 PM
  Subject: [LUTE] Re: Microphone -> Amplifier

  > I know this is not a musical question, but nither entirely OT.
  > What system/elements would you suggest for a fairly good amplification
  > system for a lute (or any historical instrument). In another words,
  > what's reasonably best to mic, transfer (wire/transmitter), amplify,
  > &c. without much degradation of the sound.

  My two cents:

  Try to get a directional mike, to minimize feedback potential.

  Also try to do an "A/B test", where you listen to several
  different systems in the same room at the same time, and someone
  playing your instrument.

  In general, avoid guitar amps -- they are often not built to
  minimize distortion.

  With some many manufacturers competing for so long in vocals
  amplication, I'd guess you'd be OK if you just looked around a
  few music stores and use your own ear.  Popular musicians call
  vocal amp systems "PAs".  Good speakers are heavy for their size.

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html<http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html>