On Tuesday 13 March 2007 16:41, you wrote:
> This is not extremely lute-related, but maybe there are enough
> people here interested in wood ...
>
> I once saw a photograph of an outdoor yard in NYC where
> Steinway had wood aging.
>
> I always thought that exposure to the elements was
> for wood a detriment, being, say, one reason why people
> paint their houses.

No the wood has to dry very slowly. The end of our european holiday trips is
always a short visit to Mittenwalt in southern germany to buy wood which my
wife uses for violinmaking. They keep all their trees slightly wet and dry it
very slowly. The final pieces are in the attic and depending on the price and
wood quality it's super dry or just dry.
Taco