I mention page 43 because It seems to encapsulate most of the perceived
'problems' in Pittoni and, with the link from the previous phrase, does suggest
that he well understood the implications of the low second course when he
choose to do so;  especially note that here he isn't too 'lazy'  to get the
'correct' register.

  As said, rather like with the contemporary guitar, the 'Old Ones' (or at
least some Italians) didn't seem obsessed with always continuing a line in the
same octave and may, as with other instrumental music, have positively liked it
as a compositional effect.

  Regarding just ONE theorbo:  I very much agree that there are different
sizes: principally related to single or double reentrant and to usage (solo or
basso continuo use) and some variation due to local pitch. The previous
discussions were principally about the size of instruments used by
accomplished/professional musicians for continuo work for which the large
theorbo (perhaps with only 8 tied frets) is necessary.

  MH

Jerzy Zak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Martyn,

Indeed, the Liste archives give ample exemples the 'Pittoni case' is
an unsolved problem. Of course you know, the problem is not only on
page 43, but on almost every page of this interesting from several
points of view publication. I've played in concert one of the sonatas
and have a score of it, and now I've examined the whole volume again.

There are several types of scalic passages. The ones before cadences
with lips of a seventh presents no problem at all, they are idiomatic
to any instrument of the time. But there are many others which are
broken around the second course. Some are explicable by common
practice of braking passages, say, like in transcriptions from one
medium to another - eg. JS Bach's own converting traverso flute part
to a flauto dolce part in one [or more] of his cantata, or many
adaptations of violin music to a traverso flute in the XVIIIth C. But
some others seems less hit home and it's either Pittoni's laziness to
get the 'proper' tone on the 3rd c. in high position or he had the
second in octave. In this case a matter of 'taste' in evaluation is
inevitable...

On the other hand Pittoni is a virtuoso and he knows well the very
'tiorbistic' campanella devises and is using them readily, often
high, using the 1st, the 3rd and the 4th c. (but I spoted also
campanella with 2nd). Sometime the campanellas are just neighbouring
with the 'spoiled' scalic passages ...In fact almost any possible
situation you can finde on the 44 + 40 pages of quite dense music.
There is no point for citations, it would have to be a long paper
including a fair number of statistics - not for a mailing liste.

I do not have an easy answer but I feel the second course in octave
would greatly _pacify_ most situations, at the same time not creating
a bright conflict in passing from the 1st to the 2nd c. As to the
sonic qualities of the so called 'toy theorbo', as I sad, it would be
a sort of 'big baroque lute' (a tone lower), nothing, really nothing
strange.

Besides, I have some other observation on music of the time and
lutenists/theorbists position within, which may add life to the
concept. How much of such solo music survived? - you know, very
little. And why? Becouse virtuosos might play anything at hand,
including the violin music. Having an instrument in A with 2nd c.
with the high octave - well, a hipothetical instrument - one can play
straight from the violin part, it will just sound and octave lower,
without any transposition. The same of course may concern an archlute
players.

Look for example at Maurizio Cazzati, ''Correnti, e balletti per
sonare nella spinetta, leuto, o tiorba; overo violino, e violone, col
secondo violino a beneplacito…'' opera XXX, Bologna 1662. Obviously,
only string parts in music notation exists. Italians on the list may
help, but for now I understand it as if Cazzati created his pieces
for 'spinetta, leuto, o tiorba', which now one can play them on bowed
strings, too.

Worth to bring back at this point is the Harrah/Spencer MS with
Italian anon. archlute concerti notated in treble (solos) or bass
(continuo) clef on one staff, or SL Weiss able to play 'violin
concerti straight from their notation' (Baron). Anyway, the exchange
of repertoire seems to me almost axiomatic at the time. No need to
publish it in tablature. The less paper and transmission techniques,
the better. In the end they were improvising much more then we now.

Perhaps then, there is no just ONE 'theorbo'?
Thanks for yours and Others attention to this longish epistle,
Jurek