Great question. The answer is simple. It would have been strung with a standard treble, in the usual fashion. I have not worked out what the top pitch would be - certainly _not_ f at 415, but perhaps at d at 415. The whole instrument would have been about a minor third lower, so the lowest course would have been around F, not A. Keep in mind, these are 13 course baroque lutes with first & 2nd course single, then courses 12 & 13 on bass riders. To me, this leans in favor of tuning the top string "as high as it goes", and not concerning where "f" is.

ed