Dalla Casa, mid 18thC seems to use something like this

  MH

Anthony Hind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Jaroslaw
Well that could be the explanation then, medium length nails, and
perhaps the string length meant the use of quite low tesnion strings.
Although Rob does say that somewhere on Van Edwards site there is
mention (or a painting) of a thumb or finger attachment for playing
theorbo. I couldn't find any detail about that, but I was not sure
where to look. If this was specific to theorbo, it could give an
indication of the therobo type tuning some have suggested for these
long string length lutes, but it's a very long shot, I fear.

>> Does this mean that this instrument could have been tuned in the
>> "theorbo"
>> tuning mentioned by Baron?
>> Are Vidar Boye Hansen

Anthony

Le 8 févr. 08 à 14:02, Jarosław Lipski a écrit :

> Anthony,
> Many years ago when I was at the stage of transformation from
> guitar to lute playing I tried playing my lute with normal (medium
> length) finger nails (influenced by Picinnini's remarks). The
> result showed up very quickly - the fingerboard was covered with
> small marks in the place where I used to keep my right hand. I was
> very surprised because I was trying not to touch the wood with my
> fingernails while playing, but apparently the soft wood of the
> fingerboard not covered with any guitar-like hard varnish, the low
> tension and rather low string action in the place where the right
> hand is normally kept, made it possible to scratch my instrument in
> a very short period of time. The marks appeared mainly in the
> places where fingers i, m, a played but not under the thumb. This
> however could be due to the shape of the thumb nail and the fact
> that I stopped experiment after short playing time ;-)
> Best wishes
>
> Jaroslaw

 Sent from Yahoo! &#45; a smarter inbox.