Dear Gernot,

The composer who has caused me the most concern over fingering is Fuenllana.
There are many instances where he could have made life easier for everyone.
I don't know if being blind was an issue here. I doubt it. What occurred to
me is that some odd fingerings could have resulted from the way he possibly
composed the pieces, one voice at a time, setting each voice seperately and
not changing fingering when the second or third voice entered.

It is up to you, as you are the performer, to make your own decision. What
is to be lost and gained by changing the printed fretboard positions? Did
the composer really want a different tone quality by placing it on the
second course instead of the third - they are not so different on most
lutes? If temperament is a possible reason for difficult fingering, is the
composer consistent in his use of those particular frets in that particular
mode or key?

I always try to do what is asked, but will certainly change something if I
feel it helps me articulate my reading of the score. You have to be
convinced about every note you play, otherwise your performance will suffer.
My opinion, of course. There are many others.

Rob