Daniel,

It would be worthwhile getting a teacher to guide you through these early
stages, but I appreciate that there might not be any teachers in your area.
In that case you will have to start analysing the natural movements of each
hand very carefully, because if you try to ask the hand to do something it
was not designed to do, then you will cause tension which will affect the
music and you might possibly even injure yourself.

How you hold the instrument is of prime importance. If, for instance, the
neck of the lute is parallel to the ground you must approach the fingerboard
with the palm of your left hand facing in towards your body or face. On the
other hand, if you hold the lute like a classical guitarist, with a
footstool, with the neck at a 45 degree angle to the floor, then your hand
might be less angled in towards your body. There are many subtle degrees in
between.

As a beginner, you will spend a lot of time in first or second position. The
hand must be flexible in its approach to the fingerboard. When there are two
notes far apart on the same fret, you often have two options: either do as
Vance said and use a barre - the index finger lies flat across the strings,
or play both notes with different fingers but angle your hand differently,
maybe with the palm facing the middle of your body instead of the upper
part. It all depends on what comes before and after these notes.

What I am trying to stress is that they way you hold the instrument and the
way you approach the fingerboard are VERY important, and you should aim to
be as relaxed as possible. Any problems you have will probably result from
asking your arm, hand and fingers to do something they were not designed to
do, or you are using too much pressure. Most of us use far more pressure
than is needed.

Rob MacKillop