I seem to recall that chitarone / theorbo did at first not refer to the
extended neck but to the reentrant high tuning which was at first used
on bass lutes (then still without bass extension). Chitarone being the
big version of the chitara francese, a type of _lute_ played in Italy.
Only later, when the extension was put up, the extended neck remained
its distinctive feature, and the instrument came to be called theorbo
exclusively.

According to that draught of a definition, archlutes, arciliuti, and
liuti attiorbati are not theorbos.

Not sure about chapter and verse, maybe Jan Grueter's thesis on continuo
playing with lutes.

Mathias