I don't have a 6c and have never read Francesco's works on such an
instrument, but I would like to know from the collective experience here at
what length of string does it become very difficult to play his works? The
lute in the portrait of him playing (if it is indeed him) seems to have
quite a long string length, and many of the 6c instruments on, for instance,
the Barber/Harris website are for very long string lengths, 72 cms or upper
60s. I vaguely recall Gordon Gregory playing me some Francesco on a
long-fingerboard lute, and it sounded beautiful. But at what string length
does it become just too awkward? Fuenllana, for instance, really requires a
short vihuela, 55 to 60 cms. Not so with Francesco?

Rob