On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008, Peter Nightingale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>> http://phys.uri.edu/~nigh/tab-in-lily2.pdf
>
> better, almost legible.
>
> NOt entirely familiar with Lilypond data entry yet, I assume you have
> coded this in four voices, two each on two staves?
Alexander put the four voices in four variables and then combined them in
one tab staff.

I created two staves and associated two of those for with the top staff
and two with the bottom one and combined the two staves into one score.

If you look at the code you will see segments  that look like this
<<

That means that A and B run in lockstep  the same time.  This can be done
recursively, in the sense that A and B themselves are <<...>> constructs.

> Some of the flag stems are touching fret-glyphs, some are not (which is
> better); I notice the following code:
>
>>        \override TabStaff.TabNoteHead   #'extra-offset = #'(0 . .3)

I do not know what it means, but my guess is that you are right.

> it seems to work well for the lower voice of each stave, but the upper
> voice seems to touch the fretglyphs; is another similar statement needed
> for each of the two upper voices?

I do not know the scoping rules in detail, but I guess that each new
TabStaff segment needs its own redefinitions of the defaults.  You can
avoid knowing the rules, by simply putting whatever you want to re-use in
a variable, which you then include wherever you like

> is this affecting both voices in the staff, or is another needed for the
> higher voice?

This is where some tweaking is needed, but once you have it you can
recycle it forever.  As I said before, I am a parasitic user, i.e. I just
blindly duplicated what Alexander came up with.

Peter.