Mark,

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Mark Wheeler <l...@pantagruel.de> wrote:
> To be fair to Martyn, he is merely using one of the
> fundamentals of
> historical lute stringing, the highest string is tuned to
> the highest pitch
> that is possible with the thinnest useable string.

How many of us really follow this "fundamental of lute stringing" today?  We
tune our instruments to arbitrarily agreed upon pitches like 415, 392, 440 etc
because its practical.  If we were to do the truly historical thing, Jeff's G
lute would be at 449, Joe's at 412, Tina's at 463 and Bill's at 398.

Chris