Its getting to be summer workshop season.  I'm not going anywhere
this year, but thinking ahead to next year.  Air travel in the US
has become nearly impossible, from what I can tell, at least on
United, with a lute.  Some people do it by only having a small
6 course lute that may fit in the overhead bin, whether its
strictly legal or not.  I've tried various things, including checking
the lute in a custom built shipping crate, and also buying the
lute a ticket (the airline's preferred option I'm sure.)  The
shipping crate is now large enough to invoke the oversize penalty
fee, and if I'm not very careful how I pack it, maybe also the
overweight penalty fee.  I checked the United web site, and the
current prices for these are $175 for over size, and $125 for
overweight, and of course they are separate and you might be
charged for both.  Oh, and that's one way.  That's a minimum of
$350 for using my shipping crate, and a random ticket price for
Cleveland (thinking LSA next summer) was around $400.  Now the
time I paid for a ticket for my lute, even though I called and
booked through the United call center, they failed to give me/us
bulkhead seats, which is a requirement when you are strapping in
something like a lute case.  And now, of course, to book directly
through United costs an extra fee. :-(

So what I wonder is this.  Does anybody know of a company that
will make custom fiberglass instrument cases, that might be able
to make a lute case for checked baggage on the airlines?  I have
in mind the sort that you see cellos in that seem to be fiberglass
on the outside, and custom shaped foam on the inside.  Any
thoughts?

Suzanne